Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.

Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kayak

I've completed and varnished the frame of the kayak. Pictures have been added to the photo album of the completed frame. I've also pre-drilled holes into the frame for mounting tie-down gear straps for stowing equipment on the decks. Currently, I'm in the process of sewing the skin onto the frame. Progress is slow, and my fingers are blistered, but the results so far look very acceptable in regards to skin tightness. Once finished with the sewing I will heatshrink the polyester for an even tighter fit before sealing the fabric. I've also included pictured of the coaming that I've been working on. I drew up the pattern for the coaming with CAD software and printed it full-size for a template. Bending the strips around the coaming template went easily with just the use of hot water. However, getting a tight fit between the laminations with the few clamps that I have proved challenging. I will need to do considerable touch-ups to fill in the gaps, and then sand them smooth before sewing the coaming into the skin.

No comments: